IGNITE CONFERENCE

At 7:30 am on Sunday 2nd July about fifty UoA and AUT students combined all climbed aboard a bus. A bus that was about to take them on the journey of a lifetime. I was one of those students. We were off to a national conference with about 300 uni students from all over NZ.

In the weeks, leading up to conference I didn’t really think about it. In fact, I can barely remember why I decided to go. Whether it was the fact that apparently, it was “going to change my life” or just that a bunch of girls I knew were going. Or maybe it was the fact that somewhere in the back of my subconscious I knew that I needed to be there. Whatever the reason after an 11-hour bus ride during which I dropped all my MnMs on the floor of the bus in the attempt to take the perfect IG shot (the photo turned out horrible and the MnMs rolled around for the entire bus trip) we made it.


no1 bus buddy  ❤ 

Monday night majority of the girls covered their faces in glitter in an attempt to somewhat resemble stars and that was a blast. Although I still have little specks of glitter all over my face so maybe not the best idea 😂😂

Looking back on last week I can really see how God used different things throughout the week to open my heart and break down my walls to what he wanted to tell me. For a while now I've had a friend who every time we meet up seems intent on trying to convince me of how "fake" I am. Was? Anyways so I was talking to them on Monday night and the topic of how real I am came up again. See this whole time over this year I just sort of half ignored it, I didn't want to face up to the fact that yes at times in life I don't tell people what I'm going through or how I really feel because I don't want to ruin whatever superficial friendship we have going between us. So it's not that I'm fake in the sense that I wear a mask, but more that I withhold information to "protect" myself. After having that conversation the night before when Tuesday's message rolled around and was all about identity and who we are in Christ I started thinking that maybe God was trying to tell me something. The preacher said how "your identity isn't something that you have to create, it's something you can receive." And it hit me; for ages now I've been identifying as a Christian but still been relying on my own strength. I've been relying on hiding things to keep my friendships sane instead of being real and trusting God to do the rest. So this past week I started being real. I put myself in situations where I had to be vulnerable and I honestly believe that I've started some incredibly beautiful friendships from that. 

all time faves ❤

The girls pictured above are in my action group. We get together every week of uni to go through the Bible and do life together. Conference helped me solidify my friendships with these girls and I will be eternally grateful that I was real with them. I'm finding that once you make yourself vulnerable it leaves the possibility for so many further conversations that aren't just superficial life dramas. 

Another highlight of conference was catching up with one of my old school buddies. I have to admit it was a huge surprise to see him that first breakfast (i almost dropped my cereal) but honestly I've barely seen anyone since grad so it was super great to be able to catch up and see how life was going for him. 💜

L+P finally reunited 

The last highlight that I'm dying to share with you happened on the last day of conference. Conference finished at 12pm and our bus came at 8pm leaving us with 8 hours in the middle of Waikanae with nothing to do. After being blessed by the local radio station offering to take care of all our luggage for the afternoon a bunch of us went over to the local Countdown to gather our food supplies for the long ride home. Somehow we found ourselves in the hair care aisle and as a joke, I looked at one of the girls  I was with and was like OMG we should totally bleach my hair!! Well, long story short we did. I went to the op shop and bought a $1 shirt to use as a towel (mine was in my bag) Then we rocked up to the public toilet and spent the next two hours or so turning me blonde!!! To say it was an experience none of us will ever forget would be an understatement. Definitely the craziest thing I've done in a long time haha.

before...

after..

Here are just a few more photos...

major s/o to these two for hanging out with me for the majority of conference and putting up with my super random spazzes at the world haha. so much love for you two X

Team "Coleslaw" (earnslaw)

proof of our super productive cleanup.

those trees were too cool.

So much stuff happened last week that to try and write it all down would make for a very long, boring blog post haha. Anyways these are just a few of the many highlights, hope you enjoyed reading about them as much as I did living them!!

Til next time!!
XO lavinia