THE OPEN LETTERS



I was never a stranger to letter writing. As a kid my Grandma would send us little notes every few weeks saying what had been happening in her life and asking about how our lives were going. My mum kept almost every single one of those notes and I have them in a little scrapbook at home. Throughout primary I had various pen pals and as I grew older I was in sporadic contact with my cousin via letter writing.

The old times when everybody used to write letters....

When I was in Year 12 I stumbled across a TED talk by Hannah Brencher on the art of letter writing. In that talk she said something that’s stuck with me. She said that the amazing thing about letter writing is “the mere fact that somebody would even just sit down, pull out a piece of paper and think about someone the whole way through”. The more I thought about it the more I realised how true it was. Our lives have become all about being fast so snail mail is no longer an option.

The way I see it is that the world is in need of love. We all spend so much time creating drama and fighting wars that we forget that life is about doing the opposite. A verse that has been on my heart lately is John 13:34 where Jesus commands us to love one another. And what better way to love people than by sending them letters?? 

With this in mind, I want to introduce a series to my blog. One with no end date. The series is this. Open Letters. And it’s this simple. You send me your problems,  the things that break your heart, the things that make your day. And I’ll reply via my blog. It’ll be completely anonymous so no-one will know it’s you except me. Cheesy, I know.You may laugh, you may think I’m absolutely delusional and that’s okay, that’s your opinion. It sounds stupid if you overthink it, so don’t. I’m really excited for this!!

Before I finish this up I want to leave you with one last thought. Remember back in primary everyone was so scared to ask a question. To admit that they didn’t know the answer. We all thought it would make us seem “uncool”, that everyone would laugh. But may I remind you that 95% of the time everyone else didn’t understand the same thing and that in asking you helped everyone. This is kind of like that. Everyone goes through something that you don’t know about so chances are that someone’s going through the same thing as you, so by you stepping out and saying something you could help them too. Just a thought.

Can’t wait to hear from you!!

XO lavinia